People love pets, and many prefer to have dogs. Among dogs, there are different breeds of dogs from the smallest sized ones to the largest sized ones.
The Teacup Chihuahua dog breed is one of the most preferred types of dog breed. The size of the Teacup Chihuahua makes it look charming and cuddly. As a dog lover and if you have a Teacup Chihuahua or willing to have a Teacup Chihuahua, you will have to be aware of particular facts. The article here is a guide to 10 important facts about Teacup Chihuahua Dog Breed.
Table of Contents
- What is Teacup Chihuahua?
- History of the Chihuahua dog
- The Apple head Chihuahuas vs Deer head Chihuahuas
- The Lifespan of Teacup Chihuahua
- Health problems found in a Teacup Chihuahua dog
- What is the weight and size of a Teacup Chihuahua?
- How much is a Chihuahua dog?
- What are the different types of Chihuahuas?
- Are Chihuahua Puppies Hard to Train?
- How to socialize your Chihuahua?
What is Teacup Chihuahua?
These dogs are regarded as dogs who have a gentle personality and as a very protective type of dog. These dogs also have some preferred items such as blankets, and pillows. They love to be comfy. They love shady places like a place under the bed. Sometimes they love to be exposed to the sunlight. They have their name because they are the size of a teacup. They could easily fit inside a teacup. It is when they are Chihuahua puppies that they could easily fit inside a teacup. Later on, they grow out of their size. Sometimes when they do not get the required nourishment, these teacup puppies do not grow to their full size. Another commonly used name for them is Toy Chihuahuas. As they come in small sizes, they have to be looked after cautiously as they could easily be the prey of a larger animal.
Read out the list and get to know several relevant facts about this type of dog breed. Most of the people are fond of this dog type because of its size and as it is easy to carry around. These dogs are the best for human companionship. They have to be well cared for as they are prone to adverse health conditions.
History of the Chihuahua dog
Where are the places of origin of this type of dog? Many people state that their origins run to Mexico and this dog has got its name from a state in Mexico. It was in the late 1800s that the dog got its name. Some others trace the origins of the Teacup Chihuahua to the native pet dogs of Mexico. They say that the Chihuahua dog has similarities of the Techichi dogs of the Toltec civilization. Certain records state that the Chihuahua’s ancestors can be traced to 1500s. These tiny dogs have been adored creatures from the ancient times to the present.
Other historical evidence is that in 1520, Hernan Cortez the Spanish conquistador when he came to Mexico, saw these dogs and had mentioned in a letter to his king that the Aztecs used this type of dog as a food source. It was mentioned that the dog breed was abundant in the region, which is now Chihuahua. The Aztecs used it as food, and its body was cremated with the Aztec who died. The Teacup puppy was regarded to be a good companion.
The Apple head Chihuahuas vs Deer head Chihuahuas
The Chihuahuas are categorized according to the shape of their heads. They are categorized as the Apple head Chihuahua, and the Deer head Chihuahua. The Apple Head Chihuahua dogs have a rounded apple-shaped skull whereas the Deer Head ones have a long angular face. Between the two types, the Apple head Chihuahua is popular than the Deer heads. The reason is that their lineage is superior. These pet dogs also come in different colors. Some of their prominent colors are fawn, brown, cream, black, white, red, and chocolate. The colors are sometimes solid, spotted or patterned.
The Lifespan of Teacup Chihuahua
If you are a pet dog lover, it is important for you to know about the lifespan of your pet dog. Normally, a Chihuahua lifespan ranges from 12 and 20 years. However, if you protect your Chihuahua and help it lead a healthy life, you will be possible to extend its lifespan. These dogs lead more life than the other pet dogs.
Health problems found in a Teacup Chihuahua dog
A Chihuahua could face many problems. You should know some of these problems so that you could save your dog if it has a health problem.
- Hydrocephalus can be identified as a common health problem. You can find out whether your dog has this problem because dogs with this problem are most often lethargic. Another characteristic is that they have a large head that looks abnormal. Their growth also becomes slow.
- Collapsed trachea is another commonly occurred health problem in these puppies. Symptoms are that the dog is incompletely formed and there are cartilaginous rings in its trachea.
- Pulmonic stenosis is another commonly occurred health problem where the blood outflow from the heart’s right ventricle of the dog is obstructed.
- Molera is another frequent type of health problem among these types of dogs. The characteristics are that a soft spot is found in the skull of an apple-head Chihuahua. However, this health problem is a normal adaptation which facilitates the pup’s passage through a birth canal, and it also helps the growth and development of the puppy’s skull. As the Chihuahua grows older, the molera gets away. However, until the molera is gone away, special attention should be given to the dog, or else it is likely to get a head injury.
- Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar in the dogs. Teacup dogs who have Hypoglycemia show signs of neck muscle spasms, sleepiness, lethargy, seizures and unfocused eyes. They also show uncoordinated walking. If your dog shows these symptoms, do not worry because it can be cured by simply giving them sugar supplements like honey, Nutri-Cal, and Karo syrup.
Allergies to too much of cold
- These dogs are also susceptible to cold. When there is cold weather, you will see the dog shivering and trembling due to exposure to the cold weather. The short-haired Chihuahua mostly feels the cold weather, and therefore for them to avoid the cold weather, they will have to be dressed up in a sweater and boots. Other tactics are to keep them under the sun, so they get warmed up by the sunshine. You could even keep them on a human lap or even cover them with a blanket.
- These dogs are also subjected to Heart-related disorders. Some of that heart –related problems are heart murmurs and pulmonic stenosis. They are also subjected to eye-disorders such as protruding eyes. Their eyes also start watering when they are exposed dry air, and dust. Though these problems appear to be very serious, a good vet can treat them.
- We need to keep in mind these pets are also in danger of necrotizing meningoencephalitis. The brain tissue swells and dies resulting in strange movements with severe pain. The reason for this problem is these dogs having small heads. They also are easily poisoned by chocolate and chewing gum. Most of the substances inside these foods are dangerous to these dogs. Please keep them away from chocolate and chewing gum.
- Dental care is another major problem in these Teacup dogs. The mouths of the dogs are small and cannot accommodate many teeth. Due to the crowding of the teeth, tooth decay is inevitable in Teacup dogs. The dog’s teeth regularly should be cleaned if you want to avoid the teeth decay. Diet is also another factor that helps in preventing tooth decay. Limit the number of sweet treats that you give for your little pet if you want to avoid its teeth from decaying. High sugar and carbohydrate foods are also bad for teeth. Take your dog to the vet for a regular check of its teeth so that serious issues can be prevented in the early stage. Your Chihuahua will need to be regularly checked by your vet. This dental work can be carried out before serious issues develop.
- Birthing problems are another issue. Chihuahuas have difficulties when giving birth and need assistance. These dogs have a hard time pushing puppies out of the womb. There is a reason behind birth problem issues due to the features of the Chihuahua. They have a bulging head shape, and this makes giving birth difficult. Get assistance from your vet when your dog is ready to breed.
What is the weight and size of a Teacup Chihuahua?
Standardized measurement is unavailable for the Teacup Chihuahua dog, however there height could be put like 6 inches to 9 inches (15 to 23 cm) and weight as 2.7 kg (6 lbs).
How much is a Chihuahua dog?
These puppies can cost around USD 700 to USD 1500. They appear to be very expensive as pets but of high quality. When you are buying such dogs, make sure to get it from a certified breeder of Teacup Chihuahua puppies. When you buy the dog from a certified breeder, you can be assured that it has fewer health problems. You will surely love its cuteness and small size.
What are the different types of Chihuahuas?
If you take a Chihuahua dog, you will see that it appears to be small and dainty. It has a balanced body shape and a long arched neck. Further, these types of dogs can be described as having an apple-shaped dome, with a short muzzle and round eyes.
Some have flatter, less domed heads and thus they are known as Deer head Chihuahuas. They have large upright ears. Some others of the Chihuahua breed are known as the Teacup Chihuahua. The smaller ones are known as the teacups.
Chihuahua’s are also differentiated by their coats as long and short haired. A short-haired one is smooth, soft, and glossy whereas the long-haired ones have longer fur over their whole body. They come in soft texture and wavy hair. They will have fur on their ears, legs, and hindquarters.
Are Chihuahua Puppies Hard to Train?
It is not hard to train your dog if you do it in a disciplined way. You could do the training easily if you start the dog training from the beginning. Some of the training that you will have to focus on is potty training and to train it to not bark at everything. You will have to let your pet know that potty should not be done inside the house and train it to do potty outside the house. Also, make your pet dog know that excessive barking cannot be tolerated. During these training methods, be very gentle with your puppy. First, teach your pet to be respectful towards its owner. When the dog becomes respectful, it easily obeys to all your commands.
Socialization is another training that should be given to your dog. When your dog gets socialized, it becomes friendly when meeting strangers or other dogs. It will develop an accepting nature. Also, train it to avoid from barking a lot and chewing things around the house. Always when the training is given to your dog, you will have to be very gentle with your dog and be soft on it. Do not be very harsh or strict because the dog will be afraid for you.
The puppy’s gentle nature or harsh nature will have to be associated with its parents because these puppies follow the path of their parents. Parents will indicate the nature of the puppy. Parents influence the puppy’s nature. In fact, when you choose your puppy, it would be best if you have a look at both its parents. Some of the negativities in nature of the puppies could be changed through proper training. So, it is the training that matters most. The puppy can be socialized through adequate and gentle discipline.
Pay attention to all the above tips when you have a pet Teacup dog as these pets need special attention and special care. Give love to these small cuddly creatures and spend happy moments with these lively creatures!
For more information about teacup dogs visit TeacupDogLovers.com